Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Carbohydrates - The Complex

Hello, my name is Valerie, and I am a sugar addict.

Seriously.

I rarely walk into a store and walk out again without some kind of confectionary. When I was a kid, I loved going to the dentist because at each of my yearly check-ups, I never had cavities. I would rub it in my brothers' faces because they usually had at least one filling coming every year. In my grade twelve year, I had eight cavities that needed to be filled. Why? Because I bought and consumed a Slurpee. Every. Single. Day. I dislike dentists now.

Yesterday I ate a bag of licorice, a pile of cookie dough, some cooked cookies, a piece of chocolate, and when I did go to eat some real food, I topped it with red pepper jelly. The worst part is, I started hating each bite I took. (Ok, maybe I didn't hate the cookie dough, but the rest of it was killing me!)

The whole trying to be crunchy with my skin care products (which I have now documented as failed - see my last post) should extend into the realm of what I consume as well. In fact, more than my desire for greasy, hippy hair, I want the things I eat to be good to my body. Don't get me wrong, I want them to taste good - preferably like ice cream - but I want them to bring me life, not the churning-yet-stationary lump of death that I experienced through most of last night. Ugh.

I guess the point is that I am finding I need to start establishing some balance in my life. In all ways. I feel like many things are out of control and while I am definitely not a control freak, I do recognize when there needs to be some discipline in my life! Discipline is NOT my strong suit, but it is something I crave! I'm not necessarily interested in strapping myself to some kind of regimented routine, that kind of living isn't life to me, but I should be able to control myself! I want to eat food that makes me feel good. I want to do positive things for my body and soul. I want physical and spiritual discipline in my life.

At least I walked the dog.
- the only healthy thing I did yesterday

This is NOT a weight loss blog, nor is it some kind of championing of my road to some self-help regime (or lack thereof). This is just a girl who recognizes that she has been ridiculously blessed in life, and is wanting to say thank-you by making those blessings count. I mean, if you ask my friends, they will tell you how awesome I am, and I'm not one to argue, but I feel like a little discipline wouldn't hurt.

If I had to list what I would like to accomplish, this would be it:
1. Engage in God's word and in prayer daily
2. Curb my sugar intake to something reasonable. (I'm not sure how to define 'reasonable' yet - it probably will need to be like perpetual lent, with feasting reserved for Sundays only.)
3. Trim a few lbs off my shapely physique - like 30-40! Whew!
4. Work on my flexibility/endurance/back pain. I am worried I am getting old before my time.
5. Limit my aimless screen time to ten minutes a day. Too often I default into endless scrolling. I want my screen time to be productive.

Well, now they are written down. I'll work on the plan and the time frame, but if you read this and you would be so inclined, I could use a little help with the accountability! Feel free to ask how it's going, and then nail my butt to the wall if I'm making excuses.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment